You’re not Gen X, but you’re not Gen Y either. Here’s what it’s like being caught in between two generations.
1. You were born between 1975 and 1982.
3. You feel your identity is slightly mixed up, like millennials are the bubbly, naive side of you, and Gen X is the cynical, pessimistic side.
4. You’re a Nirvana fan, but you weren’t old enough to go to a show (or your parents wouldn’t let you).
5. You can’t name more than three ’90s Nickeleodeon shows.
6. You have no idea who Lizzie McGuire is.
7. Gen X had The Electric Company, Gen Y had All That, but you had You Can’t Do That on Television.
8. You got your first email address in college…
9. But filled out your college applications on a typewriter.
10. Whenever Time has done one of these huge generation pieces, you never feel as though they’re talking about you.
11. When you hear the word “turtle,” you think of this:
12. You never had a beeper.
13. And you didn’t get a cell phone until you were at least 22… Meanwhile, your little sister had already had one for a couple years.
14. You watched The Voyage of the Mimi as a kid.
15. You saw Reality Bites and were sure that that was what your early twenties was going to be like.
16. And then it totally was.
17. You may use OkCupid, but you’re paranoid that someone you know will see your profile.
18. You actually drank Orbitz.
19. And Zima.
20. You were (and maybe still are) into New Kids on the Block.
21. You feel torn between valuing the old and completely embracing the new.
22. But, for all the things that make you feel confused and generation-less, you realize that you can kind of pick the best of both worlds.